In a dog’s diet, fruit is a rich source of fiber, valuable vitamins, and antioxidants, but not every fruit is healthy for dogs. While they do not cause any side effects when served in small amounts, some fruits can lead to serious digestive problems in more significant portions. Dog owners who give their pets fruit often wonder if grapes are harmful to their dogs. Grapes for a dog are one of those dietary components that you need to be especially careful about. So, can dogs eat grapes? And is feeding raisins to your dog a good idea?
What do grapes contain?
These fruits are a real treasure of health-promoting substances. The composition of grapes includes not only vitamins A and C but also various antioxidants that protect our body against the harmful effects of free radicals. Grapes also contain a hefty dose of fiber and a few calories (about 70 kcal per 100 g). Dark grapes, which have a high dose of polyphenols and iron, are healthy for humans. Can your furry friend also eat these fruits?
Can dogs eat grapes?
Grapes are one of the few toxic fruits to your dog or puppy. However, it has not been possible to determine the substance responsible for grapes’ toxicity to dogs. This toxic element is present in all grape varieties, even seedless ones. Therefore, when buying grapes and raisins, always keep them out of reach of your little one.
Read also: Can dogs eat tomatoes?
Grapes for your dog: is there a safe amount?
Due to the unknown causes of the toxicity of these fruits to dogs, there is no pre-determined safe dose. In addition, some dogs will develop symptoms after eating a fair number of grapes, while others will be sick after having a few. Thus, avoid feeding grapes to your dog. That way, you will protect them from serious health issues.
What are the symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs?
It is unknown how many grapes per dog’s weight can cause poisoning. Some pets can eat these fruits occasionally without showing any poisoning symptoms. Others will go to the vet with severe symptoms after just one grape. Among these symptoms, the most common are:
- loss of appetite;
- abdominal pain;
If these symptoms are not adequately treated, they may cause acute kidney failure and urinary retention, soon threatening the pet’s life. The biggest problem with grape poisoning is that such symptoms may occur even 6 hours after eating the fruit. Therefore, many pet parents are unable to determine what harmed the pet. The dog that has eaten grapes should be immediately taken to the vet. They will perform gastric lavage, give them activated charcoal, and apply drips.
Read also: Can dogs eat pineapple?
What to do if your dog ate grapes?
Consult your vet right away if you know your pet has eaten grapes, especially in large amounts. Until symptoms are present, you cannot be sure if your pet has eaten enough grapes to develop grape poisoning. However, do not wait under any circumstances. The sooner you let your vet know what happened, the sooner you can act. First, determine the dose of grapes or raisins your dog consumed as accurately as possible. Then pay a visit to your vet. They will first observe your pet, then perform gastric lavage and administer drips to replenish the fluid in the pet’s body and flush out any remaining toxins. In case of poisoning with grapes, you can also give your little one activated charcoal. Do not give your pet any home remedies without consulting your vet. You might do even more harm than good by acting on your own.